The fishery sector is one of the most important or even strategic areas for most of the economies of Adriatic Cross-border Countries. The thousands kilometres of coasts belonging to those Countries represent an incredible resource not only for the tourist sector, but also for the production of high quality fishery and mollusc products.
The project CAPS2 - “Strengthening of Centres for Aquaculture production and Safety surveillance in Adriatic Cross-border Countries” will continue and extend the actions successfully carried out in two previous cross-border CARDS – Phare projects.
The first project "SARA" created an Interregional Center for Food Safety and Risk analysis involving, among others Italian partners, the Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale dell’Abruzzo e del Molise G. Caporale Teramo of Italy, the Veterinary Services and Food Safety Authority of Croatia and the Veterinary Services of Rep. of Montenegro.
The second project "CAPS" established a Croatian Centre for Aquaculture Production and Safety, dedicated to the diagnosis of microbiology problems and ichthyopathologies. The project promoted also the development of several new diagnostic services for aquaculture farms through the strengthening of the Croatian Veterinary Institute (CVI) diagnostic tools and implemented a web GIS application for the surveillance of molluscs biological safety conditions. In addition, the collection and analysis of data on shellfish bacteriological contamination permitted to identify the main mollusc species contaminated and consequently to refine the national surveillance plans on shellfish and molluscs production areas. The two projects represent a possible model for transferring and distributing presence of technology and knowledge in cross border Adriatic Countries.
- Strengthen diagnostic capabilities and know-how of the partner laboratories in relation to biotoxins, heavy metals, benzopyrene and other PAH contamination, as well as the identification of Vibrio spp., Norovirus and Hepatitis virus on fish and shellfish produced in Adriatic Sea;
- distribute technologies in function to different levels of preparedness and existing basic know how;
- support required knowledge, methods and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) applications through educational programs and laboratory stages hosted by Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale dell’Abruzzo e del Molise Caporale Teramo (IZSAM) labs for partners’ technicians;
- establish a star-network structure for assessing the sectorial risks, adopting a web platform based on a center in IZSAM for processing, analysing, managing and presenting data captured and stored by partners for all contaminants and virus;
- extend the existing web GIS application on the surveillance of molluscs safety problem, including data subjected to EU notification and epidemiological data for the assessment of risks on heavy metal and benzopyrene and other PAH contaminations;
- prepare and implement Surveillance National Plans for standardising Surveillance and Control Adriatic Area Policy.
The CAPS2 Steering Committee (SC) is the highest level of decision making representing all project partners. It is composed by two representatives for each partner, the Project Coordinator in the role of chairman and the Project Financial Manager. Two sub-committees are also foreseen: a technical/scientific committee and a managerial/financial one. The CAPS2 Steering Committee is responsible for: main decision about techniques to use, problems and conflicts solving, supervision of project progresses, results and outputs. The SC meets twice a year.